When you add programs on a Terminal Server, you should follow the directions below by going to Control Panel -> Programs -> “Install Application on Remote Desktop…” You can see the Microsoft article on this here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc742815.aspx (shown for 2008R2, same process in 2012R2)
Also see this: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ff432698.aspx
See our RDP youtube video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5Wx0i8Mv60
<iframe width=”854″ height=”480″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/G5Wx0i8Mv60” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>
If you don’t install your application using special install mode for multi-user environment, some applications will not work properly and you will see permission errors for non-admin users and other error.
Steps on Remote Desktop Server (Terminal Server) Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2012 R2
- Login to server as Administrator
- Download your application (executable file) to the desktop or other location on the server and make a note of that location (alternatively can place media in your local CD/DVD drive if drive re-direction is on). If you are downloading your application file from the internet, you may need to turn off “Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration” (IE ESC) if using Internet Explorer (or add URLs to trusted sites) or use a different browser such as FireFox or Chrome.
- Open Control Panel, then Programs, then click on “Install Application on Remote Desktop…”
- Click ‘next’ and browse to location to where your application file is located
- Let application install and click “finish”